Sunday, August 19, 2012

It is Well with My Soul.

Last week, I was blessed to have some new friends over.  They are a group of mamas who love the Lord and are raising children to live for them.  The conversation naturally turned to our churches and then to music.  My church usually has a blended service, which works well for us as a family.  We know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but we like it.  It wasn't always that way though. 

I was a die hard contemporary worship music fan.  That was until my era of favorite worship songs wasn't so contemporary any more.  It actually makes me feel a bit old.  After much discussion and debate at the parsonage, the Rev. and I have decided that we are stuck in the 90's when it comes to our favorite songs (and no, for those of you who were in church this morning, this was not a "discussion" where I had to submit to my husband.  For as many differences as we have, we actually agreed on this).

As time wore on, these songs were played less and less in churches.  They became a thing of the past, like a discman, dial up internet, and my Beanie Baby collection.  The problem for me was that many of these songs weren't just about personal taste (and as you can tell from my references above, I do have great taste) they were memories, markers of my spiritual journey. 

Then it hit me, every song has some sort of meaning for someone.  Today, we sang, "It is Well with My Soul" by Horatio Stafford.  Let's just say that our church was rockin' a 139 year old hymn with an organ.  I couldn't help but think, how many people throughout those 139 years have found comfort in the words of this hymn?  How many cried out to God in anguish while singing these very words?  Today, I raised my voice in gratitude and praise during this song, but this wasn't always the case.  It has been a favorite in both good times and in bad.

No matter where you may land in the worship wars (I personally think a good round of "Better is One Day" should be required at every service), the important part is to praise God with all you've got.  Easier said than done.  But, like my new friend Jaimi (who has an awesome blog www.himseekingme.blogspot.com) said last week said, "The important thing is to sing with your heart."  Ok, she actually said it much more eloquently than that, but my paraphrase will have to do.  Sorry Jaimi.

So, whether you are young or old, love rock and roll, or a good old fashioned organ tune, I promise you will gain something from this video.  Blessings to you all and I pray that it is well with your soul.

1 comment:

  1. This is William's mom. I just had to saw "It is well with my soul" is one of my favorite hymns. And I can also relate on "contemporary" worship music. For me it is what we listened to at church camp, which would have been mid-90's.

    ReplyDelete