Monday, April 22, 2013

An Open Letter to AJ Clemente

Dear AJ,

You don't know me and I don't know you.  In fact, before yesterday, I hadn't even heard your name.  Then I saw it.  Your first moments of your first professional job.  Not gonna lie, it was excruciating and hilarious to watch all at the same time.

The Rev. and I read through your twitter account.  We felt your nervous excitement as you made your way across the U.S. to land in the frozen tundra of Bismarck.  We saw the pictures of your of your first apartment and you dressed up in your suit for your very first day on tv.  You told your story, emotions in all, and did it in 140 character snippets.  This was not an easy task, but you did it wonderfully. 

You, AJ, from your twitter account, are not new to unwholesome words.  But then, neither are any of us.  We may not swear, but I can bet at one time or another, we have all used damaging and hurtful words.  Gossip, slander, or just plain crudeness.

I'm guessing and hoping that you learned your lesson.  I'm sorry that you learned it the hard way.  My husband and I both recounted the numerous stupid mistakes and just plain arrogance in our first jobs.  But, we were blessed with bosses who took us under their wings, believed in us and made us better.

My first job was as an admissions counselor at a seminary in Canada.  I know a little something about making a major move to start your career.  I was putting my hubs through seminary.  Married less than 6 months, out of college less than a year and dead broke, I walked into my office to start my practically-pays-nothing job.  I was stupid.  I did stupid things.  Looking back, I am embarrassed at much of my behavior.  But, I learned.  I had a boss who showed me grace and in many ways was Christ to me in a difficult time in my life. 

We later moved back to the states and I worked for a seminary where the President, Mike Hagan, told me on my first day, "It's ok to try new things and make mistakes, just don't make the same mistakes again."  That stuck with me and shaped me more than Mr. Hagan will ever know.

I know that some reading this may not agree with me, but I think you getting fired was a bit too harsh.  You didn't know your mic was on.  I realize that in your field, one should always act as if the mic is on. But you screwed up, royally.  Don't we all sometimes?  And, although you shouldn't have used those words, regardless if it was on or not, it makes me think of all the times I have opened my big mouth and said plenty of things I shouldn't have.

So, I say this, not because I am perfect, but because I know the One who is.  No matter how low we sink in life, no matter what stupid things we say and do, we are forgiven in Christ.  Yes, there are consequences that go with our actions and those aren't automatically taken away.  But, there is forgiveness in Christ and hopefully, we can find it in our hearts to forgive each other. 

Personally, as a mom, I would rather have my kids see someone who messed up, apologized and learned from his mistake, than someone who pretends to have it all together.  After all, we are all sinners in need of a savior.

So, before my readers (all four of you!:) start sending hate mail, please know this.  I am not writing this because I feel that profanity isn't a big deal.  It is.  Our mouth is a wellspring of what is in our hearts.  I am not writing this because I think I am perfect.  I am writing this as a person who is grateful for the grace and kindness she has received from her employers.  It has been something that has carried me through hard times and something that I hope I can emulate to others.

Keep your chin up AJ!  Learn from your mistakes and know that there are many, many people who are pulling for you.  I look forward to watching your career and seeing how God uses you in the years to come!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment